Thursday, February 10, 2011

A memory - if you will

Hello everyone - today I would love for you to make a contribution to this thread by commenting and sharing with me a single memory. It could be of anything. Your favourite memory, a moment you would rather forget, your first memory or just something small that has always stuck with you.

I will go first.

I remember being about 5 years old and my dad would have jams in the loungeroom in the late evening with his band. I remember the smell of one of the guys smoking. They used to record on an old cassette tape recorder that was black, square and had huge clunky buttons that you really had to push down, like the old walkmans. A similar feeling. This particular memory is of a winter's evening. It was cold so I was tucked up in bed, with my thick blanket, lying awake, knowing I'm meant to be sleeping but loving hearing the music of distorted bluesy guitar licks and ambient chatter oozing through the walls, muffled. I lay there for hours listening. I remember one of the guys was called tyrone but i could only ever remember him as toblerone. I often wondered as a kid why his parents had decided to name him after a chocolate bar.

So that is my memory. Yours may simply be a sentence. But I would love for you to gift me with one of yours.

Thanks.

xx

4 comments:

  1. Today I was in the bakery section in Woolies buying these really scrumptious bread rolls for my sandwhich. When I turned around to find these beautifully moulded marshmallow bunnies covered in coconut with either red or blue eyes. They looked like big fat snow drops. seeing them took me back to primary school, around easter time the school P&C (a bunch of old ladies who seemed to be obsessed with doilies and lavender) would set up an easter stall where kids could come and buy all sorts of easter treats, including these bunnies all wrapped up in cling wrap.
    I never bought them cause i hated marshmallow as a kid. And still do. But golly, they were popular.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when I was told I would be school captain of my primary school. My mum was at my school that day helping out with tuckshop and she was wearing a bandana or something on her head as she'd just had something done at a hairdresser that required her to keep her hair out of light, or heat or something, I still don't know how it works. She looked ridiculous and embarrassing. I remember knowing I would get school captain. And that's not just me confusing the events in retrospect, I actually remember thinking, 'I know I'm going get this'. During my time in office I acted as an organiser for Hot Dog Day, and shook hands with the principal a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i remember this one particular day, and this is a long time ago, when the last entry in this blog was posted...
    ok, and seriously: i remember a day, when my brother and i were playing with a ball in our room, throwing it against the wall again and again. my dad, annoyed by the noise and the constant violation of our no-ball-playing-inside-the-house-rule, stormed in with a big knife (that was scary) and stabbed the ball. my first thought was "how could he" and my second one "i guess we had it coming". we kept breaking that rule, but from that day on made sure none of our parents were home when we did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When i was younger i faked sick a lot at school. Because of this i would find myself in the sick alot. I remember lying there waiting impatiently for my mum to pick me up. It was uncomfortable and hot. My skin would stick to the vinyl mattress of the sick bay bed. My mum was a working mum and it would always take her ages to come pick me up. Nothing beat the sound of her huge cluster of keys rattling along as she finally got to the sick bay. I always know when my mum is coming because of the rattle of her keys

    ReplyDelete