Saturday, April 30, 2011

I don't like drafts

I don't like writing drafts. I have never liked writing drafts. Until I came to honours I got through everything in life by researching and researching and then writing it all in 3 hours and handing it in without a second glance.

The process of fixing words is just not my forte. I like writing them. I enjoy spewing them onto the page very much but the action of trawling back through? I find this excruciatingly frustrating. I find peeling labels off things more thrilling.

I don't know what it is about me. But I simply like the immediacy of the first act. If it's not right then that's okay. Disregard it. Write something new.

This is a failed system. One I have to ignore because it simply does not work in the world of research.

I am also a hopelessly restless human being. Always have been and always will. I find sitting still a challenge.

So, despite having a similar relationship to editing as most people do to the sound of fingernails on chalkboard - off I go again. Luckily I am built with an internal headmaster who screeches at me and tells me to get back to work.

Other wise I would never edit a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment